March 17, 2017 - (Newton, Iowa) State officials announced today that Jasper County has received designation as the 47th Home Base Iowa (HBI) Community. Momentum for the program has continued to expand with growing support from additional cities and counties across Iowa. Governor Terry E. Branstad was on hand to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment.
"Our appreciation for veterans and their families, paired with the growing need for skilled workers and a dedicated workforce, is the catalyst for the continued success of our Home Base Iowa program,” said Branstad. The event was hosted local businesses, community leaders and veterans.
HBI is a one-of-a-kind program assisting veterans and transitioning service members by helping connect them with over 1,500 Iowa businesses statewide that have pledged to hire over 8,000 veterans. HBI connects veterans with businesses, communities, higher education partners and statewide resources which support veterans. The website also provides an automated process that puts veteran resumes directly into the hands of Iowa businesses with matching criteria. The information is also sent to HBI communities that match the veteran’s selected locations. In addition, IowaWORKS workforce advisors contact them to offer resume and local job placement assistance.
Iowa has much to offer veterans and transitioning service members. These benefits include no state taxes on military pensions, in-state tuition, and down payment assistance and closing costs towards a qualifying home purchase. Iowa also offers a cost of living below the national average and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. WalletHubs “2016’s Best & Worst States for Military Retirees,” ranked Iowa first-in-the-nation in the categories of “Most Veteran Job Opportunities” and “Most Affordable Housing.” Additionally, Iowa ranked third in the “Lowest Percentage of Homeless Veterans” and ninth in “Veteran Healthcare.”
Home Base Iowa designates qualified communities as centers of opportunity for military veterans based on four standards:
- within a designated community, 10 percent of the businesses must become Home Base Iowa businesses,
- community develops its own incentive package for veterans,
- community prominently displays Home Base Iowa Community designation, and
- community must obtain a resolution of support from the appropriate local governing body
Jasper County has met or exceeded these requirements.
# # #
Home Base Iowa is a unique, non-profit, private-public partnership focused on recruiting veterans and active duty service members for quality, well-paying, private-sector jobs in Iowa. The Home Base Iowa Act provides the following incentives:
- Military Pension Income Tax Exemption - fully exempts military pensions from state income tax.
- Permissive Veterans Hiring Preference - allows veterans preferential treatment in hiring decisions for both public and private organizations.
- Military Homeownership Assistance Program - provides veterans up to $7,500 towards down payment assistance or closing costs of a home through the Iowa Finance Authority.
- Higher Education Incentives – provides automatic, in-state tuition to veterans, their spouse and their dependents.
The initiative is currently co-chaired by Congressman Leonard Boswell and former Casey’s CEO Bob Meyers, both of whom are veterans. To learn more about Home Base Iowa, visit HomeBaseIowa.gov.
For more information contact:
Jason Kemp, Home Base Iowa Program Manager