The first Adams County seat was established by act of the Iowa Legislature on January 12, 1853, at Quincy, Iowa (now non-existent). The courthouse was a frame building but official court records were kept in private dwellings. Quincy would remain the county seat for the next eighteen years. The building was later used as a schoolhouse and in 1932 it was torn down. In November, 1872, the people voted to remove the courthouse from Quincy and locate the county seat in Corning.